With Labor Day quickly approaching, but social distancing still a priority, a weekend staycation may be just what the doctor ordered. Instead of spending money on traveling and hotels, why not upgrade your EQ — Entertainment Quotient, that is—by embracing fall with an outdoor décor re-do, setting the stage for when you do feel safe enough to entertain.
The Retreat at Mountain Brook is known for its spacious apartment homes — and it is also recognized for its outdoor living spaces. Sunrooms, porches, and balcony’s offer a way to extend our living options by creating a place we can sit – enjoy the seasonal changes and appreciate nature. Whether your outdoor space is a sunroom, porch, or balcony, the decorating options are endlessly fun!
One of our favorite inspirational go-to’s for home décor is Real Simple Magazine. You can always count on their designers to present timely trends each season. Here is a recent article we think you will enjoy, on ultimate outdoor entertainment. It states what many of us are still thinking, and that is that indoor entertaining is still off-limits for the foreseeable future.
We asked our own resident lifestyle professionals, the Idea Specialists™, their thoughts on how to make the most impact with outdoor entertaining and décor, and what tips they might offer that would be fun leading into Labor Day weekend. Here’s a few of their suggestions:
- Whether you have a sunroom, porch, or balcony, one of the easiest, most impactful ways to gradually lean into fall is with plants and color. Leave your existing plants in place and integrate fall colors of pumpkin, (traditional orange or the newer sage green) mustard, and cinnamon into the backdrop for a pop of seasonal color.
- Create a focal point. Since we love pumpkins we found this item at Ballard Designs. Perfect for the season, it combines a fairytale pumpkin, a wreath of seasonal greenery, and a pedestal flower pot. VIOLA!
But also, don’t be afraid to be creative and frugal — repurpose a vessel you already have and create your own. Forage for greenery or purchase it someplace fabulous and nearby The Retreat, like SHOPPE on Clairmont. (Be still my heart.)
This type of treatment would also be a welcoming addition to your front door-area decorating, as a centerpiece for a dining room table, or on a coffee table.
- Light up the night! Lighting is magical, isn’t it? It can make or break a room. We love vintage festival or Edison lights for indoor or outdoor lighting.
- Love early mornings in the fall? Are you a coffer drinker? Turn that potting bench into a cute seasonal coffee station and enjoy that morning cup of Joe on your porch.
Treat yourself to special handcrafted coffee mugs from Andrea Hill Pottery – Etsy and Jordan’s Skinny Mix Syrups in an assortment of flavors like salted caramel, pumpkin spice or Cinnamon Dolce. YUM!
If coffee isn’t your thing—flip to evening cocktails with a twist of fall. Look at this amazing Pumpkin Spice White Russian recipe, also from Skinny Mixes.
- One of the easiest ways to cozy up a sunroom is to use casual throws in a variety of colors. They can range in price from $25-$30 or, well — the sky is the limit.
We love this one from Crate & Barrell.
But if you’re on a budget – you may prefer a lower price point packed with style—like this one we found at Birch Lane for $34 — we like the fringe.
- Want to celebrate your new décor? Have a party – virtual of course! Add Invitations – receiving an invitation, whether paper or digital, is always fun. Choose a fun fall theme and create your party! We love Paperless Post (which isn’t just paperless anymore!) And be sure and check out their options for hosting a “virtual party”. You’ll be glad you did!
Send us your tips and techniques on decorating! We’d love to see your outdoor décor redo!