As the seasons change, so does our desire to create new and exciting living spaces. Our surroundings are reflective of our mood, and it’s always fun to learn what the experts are predicting and how it can be interpreted for our own home sweet home.
We asked The Retreat at Mountain Brook Idea Specialists® about fall 2019 home trends, how to learn what your unique style is, what’s in and what’s out — and here is what we learned:
- Check out websites and magazines featuring your favorite designers to decide on the trend-right looks you’ll love this season. One of our favorites is Chip and Joanna Gaines’ Magnolia Journal featuring a great article this issue on wabi sabi, the Japanese concept of finding beauty in perfectly imperfect design vignettes and, Joanna’s blog is full of ideas for staying on top of her version of home-style.
- Not sure of your style-type? Here’s a cool design style quiz you can take to help. (Disclosure – this is linked to a service you will need to eventually pay for, but you can explore your design type for quite a while before the payment option occurs.)
- Color – there’s a wide spectrum of colors to reach for when choosing a fall 2019 color scheme—Elle Décor rolls out these exciting palates suggesting everything from hunter green, to terra cottas, misty blues to optimistic yellows. Check out details on their website. How do you integrate these colors into your apartment home without breaking the bank or your lease? Simple. Accessories.
From rugs, to bath towels, and throw pillows to window coverings – accessorizing is the way to go when making seasonal home décor changes!
- Here’s a slideshow from Elle Décor of what to look for and what to leave behind.
- Look for textures like Bocule – a fantastic fabric that’s a type of cloth with knots, loops and curls which give it a pebbly surface texture.
Shop Local – Where can you find these trends in all price ranges?
That’s easy— Stores near The Retreat include Walmart, which is a five minute drive away and offers free two-day delivery on a wide variety of budget friendly home accessories. We like their Better Homes and Garden line of accessories for the home.
Just minutes away from The Retreat, in Mountain Brook Village is Patina, an artful living, home decor boutique helmed by one of Birmingham’s favorite decorators, Melanie Pounds. Patina is an exclusive Verellen Boutique. Verellen conceives, designs and creates beautiful modern home furnishings with an old-world attention to detail.
Indulge your wildest fantasies at At Home, located in downtown Homewood. There you’ll find a treasure trove of vignette scenes from living areas, to dining, bedrooms, and nook spaces, with a full compliment of accessories in all shapes and sizes to choose from. We are partial to these Mongolian Fur pillows ourselves!
The Retreat at Mountain Brook is known for its larger than average apartment floor plans, storage, huge walk in closets, and outdoor living spaces–so that is a big plus when storing those special seasonal items. And, with November in full swing, and barreling toward the holidays, now’s the time to get a plan for a refresh of your décor.